Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sammy's

Okay it's no secret: I effing love Sammy's. I was first introduced to it's killer slices five years ago and have been making annual pilgrimages ever since. It's my favorite NY slice outside of the city.


Not the greatest picture, I know, but let's go inside, shall we?


You can say that again, Don Corleone! Just check out all these radical pies!


For research's sake, I got a plain slice and a white slice. While the selection of toppings is great, they could carry themselves on their standard cheese alone.


Oh my god. Does that not look delicious? Computer: MAXIMIZE


I highly suggest you click on the picture for a higher-res version. Then imagine taking a huge bite of this awesome slice. Oh and I hope you like amazing crusts, because it's crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Oh man.


I went for the white slice first- it's an incredible slice, but I had to save the best for last. It has ricotta, mozz, Romano, and garlic and the same delicious crust as it's sauce-covered brethren.


You can see it was cooked on a pizza screen which I know some people frown upon, but it's working for Sammy's. Oh did I mention that Sammy's has the most epic selection of pizza posters ever? Or did you not see the Godfather on the way in?


That's Spitzer, Bush, and Giuliani totally housing NY slices next to a sign that reads:
"This picture does not reflect the views of Sammy's Pizzeria. We just want you to know that politicians like pizza too."
On my way out, I grabbed one more slice for the road and snagged a pic with my favorite poster in the whole world.


Every summer I take a picture with possibly the zaniest promotion for pizza ever created.


Just what the hell is going on in this poster? Who is holding the phone? Why is that guy taking a bite of her slice if he has his own? Why doesn't he just hold those flowers with his other hand instead of under his arm? The photographer of this image is certainly straddling the line between genius and insanity.


Every year I offer to buy it, and every year I am refused. The poster truly belongs here; such an epic poster needs to be at an epic pizzeria. I love you Sammy's.

Edit: photo from the 2010 and 2011 pilgrimages:



3 comments:

  1. I once offered Sammy's $1000 dollars for the poster. When they refused I offered to work there for free for a year. When they refused my heart was also broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this place and pizza. Got me through many late nights in college at IC :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails