Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Paulie Gee's Opens Tonight, March 9th 2010

Well, tonight it is a big night for a Brooklyn-born pizzaiolo and friend of mine, Paul Giannone- known affectionately through New York and New Jersey as Paulie Gee. At 6 P.M. at 60 Greenpoint Avenue in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, Paulie officially opens the over-sized barn doors of his cozy pizzeria to give the public arguably one of the best pies in America.


Paulie, who just retired from a long career of computer consulting just shy of a month ago, started making pizza about two-and-a-half years ago when he built a brick oven in his back yard.

(courtesy of Blondie & Brownie)

Not too shabby, huh? Well it pales in comparison to his new custom Italian-built oven-


I have been fortunate enough and Paulie has been kind enough to let me film the process of him getting his restaurant off the ground for my documentary. While I can't show you any footage, I'll give you a glimpse at what he's been up to.


Before Paulie bought 60 Greenpoint, it used to be a restaurant called Paloma run by Camille from Top Chef season 3. Unfortunately, there was a fire in one of the neighboring apartments, and the restaurant was closed. Fortunately, a talented pizza-maker was hot on the prowl for a headquarters.


The talented Oliver and Evan Haslegrave turned the space into something truly unique, using only recycled and repurposed material to give the brand new restaurant the warm, antiqued barn feeling it has come to embody. If you haven't been to the Manhattan Inn in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, do yourself a favor and go, if not just to see Oliver and Evan's creative handiwork.


I had my first Paulie Gee pizza while stopping by his place during this past Superbowl, and what a night that was. Paulie and his right-hand pizzaiolo Alex spent the night getting to know the new oven by making pie, after pie, after pie. Above is one of my favorites created that night, "The Alexi-" red sauce, EVOO, salt, arugula, and shaved Parmigianno-Reggiano.


Listen, it's clear to see I may have a slight bias having witnessed Paulie passionately transition from backyard entertainer to brick-oven pizza-machine, but I never said I had the integrity of a journalist. What I do know is that Paulie makes one of the absolute best Neapolitan-style pizza I've ever had, and if you knew what was good for you, you'd go try one or three for yourself.


Here's to you Paulie- best of luck, and happy "retirement!"

4 comments:

  1. I just ate the first two official pies created at Paulie Gee's. I picked the Mariana and the Greenpointer. The Mariana was simple and tasty, the garlic coming through a base of tomato and reinforced with a perfect crust. But I have to say that the Greenpointer rang supreme tonight. What a zesty pie! Do yourself a favor and get this delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've outdone yourself. can't wait to see the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome!! i want to come get a pizza soooon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need an Arugula Scmoogula, stat! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails