Sunday, June 27, 2010

Koronet Pizza

What do you do when you haven't seen a friend in 13 years? Make up for lost time by going to town on one of the city's biggest slices, that's what. Rarely do I find myself as far north as 110th street in Manhattan, but Koronet Pizza and a long overdue rendezvous beckoned me hop on the uptown 1 train.


I had been hearing about this place through word of mouth since moving to the city four years ago, but could never find any information on it. Just when I was ready to relegate this place's notoriously huge slices as an urban legend, I realized that Koronet was spelled with K, not a C. Idiot!


Woof! The slices are literally bigger than your head. Thankfully my friend had the forethought to throw down her metrocard next to the slice to give it some scale, in case you didn't notice both ends falling off the edge of the greasy plate beneath it.


The slice is cooked well, though I think it could stand another minute in the oven to add some much-needed extra crispy support to its intimidating length. For the first time in a while, I really didn't know where to start when it came time to eat the thing. Good luck trying the NY fold- the tip begins to sag a good five inches before you can take a bite. Some people go for the fork, but I couldn't bring myself do that, so I clumsily lifted the end of the slice off the plate and hunched over table, practically shoveling into my mouth. I'm pretty classy, huh?


The crust has some decent flavor, but I can't really say the same for the sauce or cheese. The tomatoes tasted like over-cooked Ragu, while the cheese had coagulated into a thin yellow membrane atop the slice. That being said, Koronet isn't too shabby all around, albeit hard to eat in the beginning. At $3.25 a slice it's got to be one of the best deals in the city- you could easily fit three dollar-slices into one of these suckers.


Don't forget to check out Tom's Diner around the corner- maybe you'll see Jerry and George arguing about nothing over a cup of joe (if only). Koronet is definitely worth checking out, but bring a friend like I did- one slice might be big enough for the both of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails