Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hell's Kitchen Pizza, pt. 1

After seeing Adam's post about macaroni and cheese pizza, I trekked over to Hell's Kitchen Pizza (47th St. & 10th Ave.) to check it for myself.


I used to live a block away from this place and occasionally stopped in for slice or a square (pretty mediocre in my opinion, but not bad by any stretch of the means), but never saw or heard anything about an M&C slice...


HKP is a really small little spot that has a cool rockabilly feel to it. I talked to one of the "pizzaiolowners" Steve Grillo (who strangely used to be a Howard Stern icon), and he gave me some bad news: some Wisconsinite cheeseheads came by and scarfed every last M&C slice in the joint!!! (My angry inner-Minnesotan is coming out)

Disappointed but still hungry, I ordered a square and thought I'd try the grilled cheese slice, which is American cheese slices with chunks of tomato:


Not one of the most appetizing looking things, but I have to admit it's a pretty tasty slice provided you like (processed?) slices of American cheese. There's a reason this kind of cheese isn't so popular on a pizza: it burns quickly, doesn't keep very well, and looks like plastic surgery gone wrong. That being said, don't judge a slice by it's cover.


As the doo-wop tunes wafted around the place, I made a mess chowing down. Under the thin coagulated layer of skin, the American cheese oozed with every bite. The end crust had a nice crisp outer layer and chewy inside, but the tomatoes were nothing to write home about. If I were a meat-eater, I would have ordered their acclaimed Hellfire slice (pepperoni, spicy Italian sausage and cherry peppers).


I'll be back again tomorrow... before the cheeseheads strike.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry the cheeseheads bought out all the slices. I think they might have been the very Wisconsinite cheeseheads I asked to send in word from the field!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot think of Mac and cheese pizza without thinking of Cici's. ewwww. I'll try to be open minded if I ever come across it in a REAL pizza joint.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails