Saturday, October 31, 2009

Gruppo Thin Crust Pizza

At the behest of one of my coworkers, I was told I had to try Gruppo. While I dig my fair share of crispy pies, I'm not much of a thin crust guy. I told him this, and he insisted: I had to try Gruppo.


Gruppo offers a pretty long list of fresh ingredients (I was told to try a pie with red onions, pineapple, and jalapeno peppers), but I resisted and ordered a small nine-inch "classica-" sauce, fresh mozz, fresh tomatoes, and basil. Five minutes later:


What a beautiful pizza- too bad it's so hard to eat. If you've learned anthing about me at this point, it's that I always have a problem with pizzas who 'write a check their crust can't cash.' By this I mean pies that don't know their boundaries, or rather how many (or few) toppings they can afford to let chill on top.


Don't get me wrong; Gruppo's ingredients are fresh, and very tasty at that. The thin, stringy mozzarella reminded me of Grimaldi's or Angelo's. The sauce has a somewhat sweet & tangy presence (especially in combo with those tomatoes) with a little oregano in there.


The undercrust is what you want in a (super) thin crust pizza; most crispy-crackery thin, though the sauce got the better of it towards the center, making it less crispy and more soggy.


There isn't much cornicione on this pie, in fact there's none at all. The sauce comes right to the edge, making grabbing a slice significantly more difficult. Like I mentioned earlier, you really can't even pick this thing up or even fold it. The undercrust turns floppy towards the center, leaving me no option but to turn toward my nemeses Fork and Knife (pictures of my experience with them omitted out of shame).


If thin crust is your deal, then definitely check out Gruppo (I'd go light on the toppings). The service and atmosphere are as quality as the ingredients. Just leave your New York, utensil-less ego at the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails